The Tar Heel State is home to multiple jazz legends, famous for its sweet potato production, and offers North Carolina 18+ casinos. While most consider NC to be a non-friendly gambling state in terms of its legislation, it still is more liberal than its anti-gambling counterpart.
South Carolina. North Carolina has many other nicknames including the Land of Sky and Old North State, and it is no surprise that this state has undergone radical changes throughout its years. North Carolina currently permits its residents and visitors to participate in charity games, 3 different types of bingo, state-run and multi-state lotteries, one single poker room, and casinos that offer class III games.
This page is a resource for NC visitors and occupants that would like to learn about available gaming options in the Tar Heel State. This includes 18+ online casinos and legal land based options in North Carolina. We will also discuss the various gambling laws and the minimum gaming age within NC.
Can You Legally Gamble At 18 In North Carolina?
North Carolina allows individuals as old as eighteen to participate in NC’s state lottery which helps fund educational programs and college scholarships, as well as, charity games like raffles and bingo, and go to low-risk bingo parlors.
Patrons under the age of 21 may not enter any of NC’s casinos or play in the poker room located at Harrah’s Cherokee.
Is It Legal To Gamble Online In North Carolina?
There are no laws within the Tar Heel State that forbid players from accessing legal internet-based casinos at offshore locations. Federal gambling laws do not prohibit its citizens from visiting said sites and allows states to regulate their own gaming platforms or outlaw online gaming altogether.
This means most US players can legally participate in online casino gambling, except for citizens that live within the state of Washington.
Most Reputable 18+ Online Casinos For North Carolina Players In 2023
These online brands offer the most secure network for players from North Carolina to gamble on. We only recommend online casinos that have passed our quality and security assurance tests and standards in order to provide the best online gaming brands in terms of value and safety.
This list features casinos that are completely legal and regulated by international gaming agencies.
|Site Name||Bonus||Age||USA||Visit Site|
|1||100% Max $3,000||18+||Play Now Full Review|
|2||200% Max $5,000||18+||Play Now Full Review|
|3||350% Max $2,500||18+||Play Now Full Review|
|4||150% Max $3,000||18+||Play NowFull Review|
What North Carolina Casinos Are 18 and Up?
North Carolina law states that the minimum casino gambling age is 21. Residents and visitors under the age of 21 can participate in lottery games (must be 18+), bingo, and raffles.
Legal Land Based Options In NC
- Stumbilicious Bingo!!
- Eastway Beach Bingo
- Cherokee Tribal Bingo
- Harrah’s Cherokee Casino
- Harrah’s Cherokee Valley
Brief History Of North Carolina’s Gambling Laws
North Carolina has a deep involvement with gaming, liquor, and legislation regarding the two. What once was known as a hide-out frequented by the infamous pirate Blackbeard who was no stranger to booze and games, to the lawless land that ran rampant with illicit gambling before and during prohibition, North Carolina has changed its handle on gaming over the years and we explain it here.
- In 1749, gaming restrictions began as debts over 100 pounds were marked off as non-recoverable. The British currency was the target of these write-offs.
- In 1753, public gambling was banned, and loss caps were placed on private gambling.
- In 1784, the state loosened its anti-gambling grip and permitted public gambling if it was taxed.
- In the 1800s, gambling ran wild, civilians purchased raffle-like lotteries, and gaming remained unregulated. Later there would be a nationwide ban on all forms of gaming until the early 1900s.
- In 1939, dog races were legalized in NC.
- By 1945, the county of Mecklenburg began offering bingo.
- In 1954, greyhound dog races were outlawed.
- In 1977, charity raffles were approved of.
- In 1982, the Cherokee Indians began offering bingo games without permission of the state. After this the IGRA was federally formed to permit gaming on tribal land.
- In 1994, the Cherokee natives negotiated a compact with NC to build a casino.
- In 1997, the Cherokee Nation and Caesar’s Entertainment partnered together to open Harrah’s Cherokee Casino.
- In 2000, video poker machines were limited to 3 machines per property due to abuse in a number of gaming machines present per establishment in the past.
- In 2005, NC approved of a state-run lottery and in 2006, the NC lottery had its first drawing.
- In 2007, the state was tired of the general defiance of its 3 video poker machine per establishment limit and thus banned video poker machines altogether.
- By 2012, Tribal casinos were permitted to offer class III games which involved table games and card games.
- In 2013, the state of NC saw to the shutdown of ‘sweepstakes’ internet cafes as they were considered to be participating in illegal internet gambling.
- In 2015, Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River opened.
- In 2017, a bill to legalize daily fantasy sports circulated and is still being discussed.
18+ Online Casinos For North Carolina Residents
There are little gaming options available to young adults within North Carolina which is why we feature legal online gaming destinations that Old North State residents can participate on. These sites present various real money games from table games to slots, jackpots, keno, craps, and more.
To register and play on these online casinos patrons must be at least eighteen and from North Carolina. Many other online casinos do not accept American players especially ones as young as eighteen. Remember to use verified and recommended online gaming casinos to ensure smooth registering gameplay and payouts.
What Is The Minimum Legal Gambling Age In North Carolina?
North Carolina’s minimum gambling age varies by gaming option. Eighteen-year-olds can play the state lottery, charitable gambling, and low-risk bingo parlors. 21-year-old residents and visitors can gamble at NC’s casinos and poker rooms.
Is Online Gaming Safe For North Carolina Players?
NC players have to option to play safely on designated legal online casinos, those who venture beyond recommended sites face the risk of theft and internet security threats. We only feature online casinos that have passed our team’s quality standards by offering advanced level security protocols, 24/7 system monitoring, and information encryption.
These casinos listed accept NC players that meet their minimum gambling age requirement of eighteen.
Do All Online Casinos Host Fair Games?
Only online casinos that utilize RNG technology in their games will always display fair results. Not only that, legal online casinos are regularly tested by 3rd party agencies to certify that their RNGs function properly which ensures truly random results.
You will notice that the list of online casinos we present is highly transparent with their audits, certificates, and licensing which is a sign of a trustworthy online gaming destination.
Can North Carolina Players Register At Any Legal Online Casino To Play For Real Money?
No this is due to certain online brands refusing to host games for American players. US gaming regulations ask a lot of online brands, who in turn simply refuse to serve US citizens rather than comply to US standards and go through red-tape.
However, there are many leading brands that offer online casinos which are accessible to US players, especially those from North Carolina. There are some legal online casinos that ask players to be at least twenty-one, but the casinos featured here accept them as young as eighteen.
Is It Possible To Play Real Money Games On Your Phone?
Of course. Players can gamble on their mobile phones by using web-based versions of the casinos we present. These brands have optimized themselves for mobile gameplay and use responsive technology to render images that will fit to scale on any device.
These mobile online casinos do not require any downloading just an internet connection. Players that are 18 can manage their accounts and money, all from their phone, tablet, or device of preference.
What Sports Betting Or Poker Sites Accept 18+ North Carolina Players?
There are three top-rated brands that accept NC players 18 and older to participate in their real money games, sports betting options, and poker games. These destinations offer exclusive and hefty bonuses for first-time players to their site.
- Bovada Sportsbook – 50% Bonus Max $250
- Betonline Sportsbook – 50% Bonus Max $2,500
- Sportsbetting.ag – 75% Bonus Max $1,000